Hear the screams of a dream being born

In the spring of 1969, during his senior year at Amherst College, Jim Steinman debuted his epic rock musical The Dream Engine. In the spring of 2019, I got to attend the 50th anniversary performance. I shall now recount to you my experience. But, as is my style, I had a few other adventures along the way.

My flight from Raleigh landed in Boston around 10AM on May 29th, and my first order of business was to google "best donuts in Boston." The top result was Kane's, so a quick trip on the T and I was in the Financial District devouring a decadently massive Boston cream donut. Faneuil Hall was just a short walk away, so I popped over to browse the shops and admire the historic architecture.


Next I picked up my rental car and visited the JFK Library, and then across the street to the state archives where I saw rare documents such as the Declaration of Independence and Bill of Rights.


After a quick stop in Dedham to see the Fairbanks house -- the oldest wooden house in North America, built in the 1630s -- I was off to Amherst. I found a great Airbnb across the street from the Emily Dickinson house. I'd already taken the tour on my last trip to Amherst, but I did take note of the fact that they've added a new experience since then: you can now book a private writing session in Emily's room! Definitely putting that on the list for next time.


I made my way to Kirby Theater to meet Barry Keating, the original director of The Dream Engine who had returned to direct the revival as well. Considering the research I'd done in the past, he had asked me to design a display for the lobby, and I was happy to oblige. He also graciously allowed me to stay to watch the rehearsal and take photos.


It was fascinating to watch the cast and crew rehearse, going over different parts to get the cues, lighting, staging, etc. just right. And witnessing Barry re-creating the opening monologue was a sight to behold.

Then came the opening musical number: "Come in the Night," performed by Andrew Polec, star of Jim's Bat Out of Hell the Musical, which I saw in Manchester and New York. The chaos turned to magic as he stepped onto the stage. Time stopped and I felt like I was floating. One take and everyone agreed it was perfect.

The assistant director was Ellen Parks, who played the female lead in the original 1969 production of The Dream Engine.


Max and Emily, the cops/soldiers/draft board/etc, were played by Larry Dilg (who appeared in the 1969 production of The Dream Engine and the 1977 production of Jim's musical Neverland) and his wife Mimi Kennedy (who appeared in the 1973 production of Jim and Barry's musical Rhinegold and currently stars in the TV show Mom).

Seeing a show I'd only known from photos and recordings come alive on stage was such a thrill, and I couldn't wait to see what it would look like with a full audience the following night. I made a pit stop at Insomnia Cookies and went to bed, full of excitement.

The next morning I had a breakfast of a French toast donut at Glazed and a second breakfast of tortellini pizza at Antonio's.


Before the show I took myself on a tour of the Amherst College campus. First, to the Robert Frost Library, where I saw a life-size moose sculpture that apparently just mysteriously appeared one night.


Next, to the Mead Art Museum, where I saw a mix of contemporary and ancient art.


And finally, to the Beneski Museum of Natural History, where I saw mammoths and dinosaurs.


Finally, it was time for the performance. On the way into the theater, my family and I chatted with Larry and Mimi, Pat Cerasaro (who directed several recent Steinman tribute shows in New York), and Kim Friedman (who directed Jim's 1973 musical More Than You Deserve).



The 50th anniverary performance of The Dream Engine was a rip-roaring success that electrified the audience. I am so glad I was able to attend. I congratulated Andrew at the end.

The next day I headed back to Boston, but I was still reeling from The Dream Engine so I wound down with, you guessed it, more adventures, which included:

The Choate Bridge in Ipswich, one of the oldest bridges in North America, built in 1764.

The Crane Estate in Ipswich, an absolutely magnificent mansion with gorgeous gardens.


The Endicott Pear Tree in Danvers, the oldest living fruit tree in North America, planted in the 1630s.

The House of the Seven Gables in Salem, made famous by a Nathaniel Hawthorne novel.

A seafood dinner at Brandy Pete's in Boston, followed by a caramel cupcake from Magnolia Bakery and a stroll around the waterfront park.



And then it was time to fly home and return to normal life. Until the next adventure, that is!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rock and roll dreams come through

Bringing the lost boys home

We're on the edge of forever